RICKS MUSIC REVIEW X9

Posted by Ricky Moreno On 08:12

Lets talk about music this month.
I thought I would start my months input by starting with an album review for Lily Allen's new album. I will give a small insight song-by-song. As an introduction to her it's important to remember how annoyingly honest she is was refreshing when she first graced our ears. Since her debut album 'Alright Still' Kate Nash came along and did a much better job of that talking/singing genre and then of course there was Lily's decline in front of the media which I do not want to judge. Our opinions of Lily as an artist should be no better or worse than her last song/album which I believe is a great place to finish the introduction and get on with the review.

Its Not me It's You

Everybody Is At It

This was an okay song. It's the first on the album and kind of reminds the listener that lily likes to engage with current ordinary issues. The beat at time sounds incredibly like a Killers song.


The Fear

Lily's first album release single. It is an attractive song. It has a nice little beat which is some what relaxing. She points out the bad points of current life but points out the she does it too and then states she is not sure what is right now. I like the way Lily uses her brain here. I think, being a pop song she has a chance to make people think although I don't think people will.

Not Fair

Wild West themed beat. Talks about sex, being the only problem within the relationship. Its quite grossly descriptive for a song. I kind of like it, but it is aimed at women so not something i can relate too.

22

Describes the life of a girl that was once 22, now 30. Explains the misconceptions of getting old can ruin life's. Linked to relationships being the answers to everything is just sad which I can agree with. A good point picked up by Lily here.

I Could Stay

This has an uplifting beat. It is one of those after/or splitting up songs. Noting the benefits and the not so good points to relationships. I do not think the words are amazing, but I 'spose if you are in that particular situation there can be some points to relate to. Most certainly an album song, definitely not a single.

Back To The Start.

An almost grimey sound to this song. Lily describes a situation with in the song about a split once again. This time choosing to blame herself. She mentions within the song that it is not a song but something she plans to put in action which kind of makes it like an action plan. Kind of cool. I can see a club a club remix making this fairly successful as it already has a catchy fast pace. I would probably dance to it. Maybe a single in the making.

Never Gonna Happen

A very slow paced speaking song. Once again about the splitting of a relationship. Reminds me of a song on the previous album. The main stance of the song is get the gut to give up on her. The actual tune is fairly funny. I am at this point of listening to the album I am starting to think it is clearly aimed at young girls splitting up with boyfriends.

Fuck You

This song's beat sounds like a Carpenters song. Lily herself does not sound like them. She talks through out about a complete loser man she has had familiar with. I think this song is good as she slates small minded people and racists (who are small minded in my opinion) and the title 'Fuck you' really sums those people up. There is also a political vibe running through it in regards to war and she kind of blames it on them. I would like this as a potential single, but then again, we don't need the swearing.

Who'd Have Known

This is a story time song. She explain the closeness of a relationship she had. It's positive. It seems very hard to describe whether Lily is happy or not whilst writing this happy. It seems like her real life in the media transpires through the writing of this album over the last few years.


Chinese

Another explanation of an event in lily's life starts this sad song. The reason for calling the song 'Chinese' is because she recalls having Chinese take away in front of the TV with somebody. The song appears to be one of those songs where Lily writes about the simple loving memories in most relationships. Its not a great song, not original, but an acceptable album song.

Him

This song is about God. Refereed as 'Him.' Constantly asking questions about he'd say about situations such as war, drugs, who should we vote for? Lily mentions the negatives of people dying in his name. Its like she is asking for a sign from him. I like the song. I can relate to it.

He Wasn't There

This 1920's style of background music. It's very slow paced. Point point in the song highlights the importance of keeping relationships going to see that things can turn out okay even if they don't seem great at the start. The songs to slow for me.



Sources

Myspace - www.myspace.com/lilymusic

Pitures - http://michaelandbubbles.blogspot.com/2008/12/top-9-frases-que-me-cambiaron-la-vida.html

0 comments