RICKS MUSIC REVIEW X7

Posted by Ricky Moreno On 02:48

Today, I have looking tirelessly for something different. Maybe I look in the wrong places but I have settled on this occasion to personally uncovering music which is good within it's own genre.

M38
Before I begin to add my very own strained opinion to this artist I would like to state immediately that Drowned In Sound have given them their album 'Number One' status in 2008. For this recognition alone it is most definitely worth the research. I like the way Drowned in Sound (DIS) refer to 80's inspired music from 'Gameboys to quantum Leap' which in most cases fit in quite nicely within the genre most common in the newest indie music.

The M38 band have incredible ability to create chilled music. Their music is laid back to the point where after listening to them for half an hour you could believe you were on some kind of medicine that stops stress. As artist, they do not have overpowering vocals, instead long intros and breaks give the listen a chance to absorb the sounds. Although they are mainly synth based, in songs such as 'Too Late' they create a more natural feel including a piano. I would agree agree with DIS idea that the album overall enables 'reawakening memories and sensations, leaving you trickling with the self-referential goo.' I am not totally sure about the goo part but concluding my opinion, listen and you shall get an idea of what myself and DIS are trying to say.

http://www.myspace.com/m83

To look at DIS top 50 album's of 2008 go too:

http://www.drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4135939

otherwise, the top 10 are here for your viewing pleasure:

01. M83 Saturdays=Youth
02. Frightened Rabbit, The Midnight Organ Fight
03. Cut Copy, In Ghost Colours
04. Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, DIG, LAZARUS, DIG!!!
05. Deerhunter, Microcastle
06. Portishead, Third
07. Why? Alopecia
08. Friendly Fires, Friendly Fires
09. The Kills, Midnight Boom
10. Bon Iver, For Emma, Forever Ago

0 comments