RICKS MUSIC REVIEW X6

Posted by Ricky Moreno On 04:05

Recently I have been less prone to diving through the Internet to find a gem that is not necessarily known. Instead I been looking through Drownedinsound.com and NME magazine editions to see if anything catches my ears. So I apologize if the bands I review are not completely 'new to your ears'at the moment. I will try to get back to my best soon.

Ladyhawke

Having read NME's top 50 songs and albums of 2008, I was completely amazed exactly how much they loved MGMT. Sure they are a good band, But to have 5 of the top 10 songs in 2008 was a bit much and suggested they were getting paid to say that.

I thought I would look to prove NME's taste was not great (or at least my taste) by looking randomly at an artist I did not know spread across the mag's pages and there was Ladyhawke. She looked like an NME star. With Ladyhawke, after listening to her music, I really wonder how she got to where she is. I see average lyrics and the beat that is not too different from what any other 'pop synth' group are making. If you are to listen to her music I would suggest 'Back of the Van' which is a passable attempt to making a decent song. If I was looking for a general 'plus' to suggest why NME may put her in the top ten position in 2008 I would point in the direction of her videos. They are fun, 80's inspired at times which I like, and her appearance does not offend the eye. I cannot help thinking Ladyhawke is a sign that music needs to change its direction from 80's pop synth slightly. I would not say a complete change, but just so we do not see artists like this being created which have no long term effect on music. I personally cannot stop listening to Los Campesinos.

I think it would be nice to finish this blog with, in my opinion, Ladyhawkes best song which I am sure others are likely to disagree with.



I would also like to say a big thank you to my fellow blogger's. I cannot describe how much I enjoy reading about all music. Even if I do not like that music I really enjoy reading what others have to think about it. I hope to push the post figures to over 100 before the start of 2009 which I think is very much a possibility thanks to your input. Also If anybody knows anyone who could contribute to this page give me their information and I will add them to enrich the page more.

Rick Moreno.

0 comments